To begin learning the deterrent thinking patterns as a means to prevent further victimization of others.
Chalk/Grease Board, Group Description T-1,
Owning Your Program T-4
Deterrent Thinking Patterns H-3,
Deterrent Details Assignment H-7 and
1. Handout and Read the Group Description and Deterrent Thinking Patterns; collect assignments from previous group.
2. Ask the clients, “How can learning the Deterrent Thinking Patterns keep us from victimizing others?” Write their answers on the board. Ask clients to take notes on all information that is written on the board.
3. Reread Deterrent 1. State that, “this is the most common deterrent for criminals and addicts. Sometimes it is the only deterrent. Some people remain in treatment only due to deterrent number one. However, this deterrent never lasts very long. When the restrictions are reduced a return to drugs or crime always occurs. If other deterrents are not used, more people will be victimized.”
4. Read Deterrent 2. Tell clients that “Victim Awareness Group is Deterrent number 2 in practice.” Ask clients what is meant by the reasoning process. Make sure the definition is clear to everyone. Let clients use their own words. Ask, “could someone give me an example of how they have used this deterrent in their life?”
5. Read Deterrent 3. Instruct clients that “Deterrent 3 is an example of relapse prevention planning.” Go around the group and ask each client to give one example of how they could put this deterrent into practice. Write their answers on the board.
6. Read Deterrent 4. State that “this deterrent is parallel to Step Four of Alcoholics Anonymous.” Ask clients“what does it mean to take a moral inventory?” Answers should include looking at the positive and negative one has done, both good and bad choices. Ask the group “How is Deterrent 3 a preventative tool?” Write their answers on the board.
7. Read Deterrent 5. Ask clients how doing the opposite of Deterrent 5, dwelling on irresponsible thinking, has caused problems for them in the past.
8. Ask the group to stand and recite the Owning Your Program sheet. One of the group members could lead the recitation.
1. Handout Deterrent Details Assignment page 1 and page 2. (Handout H-7 and H-8) Read through the assignment so that all participants understand what is expected.
The complete Victim Awareness Module is available in PDF format for a fee.
Please request permission before printing or reproducing the worksheet.